Thursday, August 6, 2015

Have a Power of Attorney prepared for your college children and children traveling out of state

Have a Power of Attorney prepared for your college children and children traveling out of state

         There are many good reasons to consider getting a Power of Attorney and Medical Directive for your adult “child”. A prominent Monmouth County Law office wrote while you made certain decision for your child before he or she turned 18, you have no authority to take action now. In the event your child becomes ill or has a serious accident while they are away, you do not have legal right to withhold Power of Attorney, it is important to have a plan in place to deal with their health, financial, educational and legal needs.

Durable Power of Attorney to handle finances will enable you to take care of tasks for your child. This includes: registering their car; communicating with their college about issues which fall under HIPAA, like grades and disciplinary actions; completing financial transactions at their bank, their college, etc. If your child runs in to an issue with their passport while they are overseas, you can be assured that you have the authority to help.

       Living Will or Health Care Directive is important in the event of an accident or illness. You will be able to talk to medical staff and make decisions on your child’s behalf, if necessary.

       While you may never need to use these documents, it is better to be safe than sorry!

2053 Woodbridge Ave
Edison, NJ  08817
(Phone) 732-572-0500
(Fax) 732-572-0030
         You have advised us you want a Power of Attorney only and do not want a new Will.
           We also use this Interview form if you want a Living Will. Please fill out completely and fax or mail back. This form is extremely important. Your accuracy and completeness in responding will help me best represent you. All sections and information must be filled out prior to sitting down with the attorney.
         Please be sure to check all appropriate boxes. If "NONE", please state "NONE". 
If "NOT APPLICABLE", please state "N/A".
1.    Your Full Name:

First                                                     Last
2.    IF MARRIED OR SEPARATED, complete (a) and (b) below:
(a) Spouse's Full Name: [none, write none]

First                                                   Last

3.  Your Street Address: ____________________________________               

City ____________________ State ____  Zip Code ______________
4.    Telephone Numbers:                

Cell: _______________________________    ________________________
Day: ____________________/Night: ________________________

5.    E-mail address: _______________________________________

6. Referred By: ___________________________________________
         If referred by a person, is this a client or attorney?  If you heard about the law office on the internet, which search engine?  What search terms did you use?

7. Today's Date ____________________

        We recommend a Living Will telling hospitals and doctors not to prolong your life by artificial means, i.e. Terri Schiavo; Karen Quinlan?      
                                                                          Yes ________  No ________

How can we help you? What are your questions/other important information?



[It is required by Court Rules that all pages be filled out in person's own handwriting prior to seeing the attorney to avoid conflicts of interest]

8.    Your Sex:      [   ] Male  [   ] Female            

9.    Your Marital Status: [  ] Single      [  ]  Married         [  ]  Separated                                             
[  ] Divorced                  [  ]  Widowed

10.  Your Date of Birth:  ___________________ 
SS # __________________
                                        Month     Day    Year

11.  Spouse Date of Birth: _________________ 
SS # __________________
                                           Month    Day    Year
 2.  Personal representative
         The person charged with administering bills, paying taxes and/or other debts, preserving, managing, and distributing assets and property is called the Personal Representative. This person should be one in whom you have trust and confidence. Your SPOUSE is usually named as primary Personal Representative r, followed by the child who lives closest to your home.
         Please provide the following information about the person you wish to name to serve in this capacity.
1. PRIMARY Choice of  Personal Representative:

Name:_________________________ ______________________
            First                                             Last

Relationship: _______________ Address: ___________________

2. SECOND Choice of  Personal Representative:
         This individual will serve in the event that the primary executor/personal representative is not alive at the time of your death, or is unable to serve.

Name: _________________________     ______________________________
            First                                              Last

Relationship: _______________  Address: __________________________

         The two proposed of Personal Representative s must be filled out prior to meeting the attorney. We do not recommend Joint of  Personal Representative s, which often cause conflicts and additional work for the Estate. It is best to select one primary person, then a secondary person.

No comments: